Darling House, Dawes Point
The Georgian-style Old Colonial sandstone building incorporates parts of an original c. 1833 to c. 1835 dwelling house, the existing sandstone house was constructed in 1842 under the ownership of Joseph Farris. The sandstone building now known as “Darling House” was built by Joseph Farris in 1842, a period of great depression in Sydney.
Darling House holds a particular historical, social and architectural significance due to its influence on the history and early social development of Millers Point and early colonial Australia.
Darling House is distinctive as it is one of only a few remaining free standing dwellings in it’s area.
In February 2016 the vacant and increasingly dilapidated Darling House property was purchased for $7.7 million from the New South Wales Land and Housing Corporation at a public auction by an anonymous buyer.
The property underwent a major heritage restoration and upgrade during the period from 2016 to 2018 in order to both maintain the integrity of the original historic building as well as to enhance its adaptive re-use as a boutique luxury seniors living and retirement home.
The extensive works over a period of more than two years involved the installation throughout of cedar joinery, original marble fireplaces, old lead light windows and doors and the general upgrading of the building.
As of the 23rd of November 2000, this property is an integration of refurbishment and new construction within an historic context.
Darling House is registered as an item of both national, state and local heritage significance being on the Register of the National Estate, the New South Wales State Heritage Register and the Sydney Local Environment Plan. Being located within and described as the “crown jewel” of Dawes Point, Darling House has also been included in the various heritage listings that apply to the Millers Point/Dawes Point precinct as a whole including the Millers Point and Dawes Point Conservation Area.
We had the privilege to work on this beautiful heritage home & replace the corrugated galvanised existing iron roof with none other than Welsh Slate Penrhyn.
This was also accompanied by heritage style lead work & new timber rafters installed by the heritage carpentry team alongside the existing original beams in the roof.
This project was a privilege to work on & we can’t wait to share with you further case studies of this multitude.
Check out the progress edit No Qualms Media made for us – https://vimeo.com/329931085
For all enquires please don’t hesitate to email us email@example.com