The Georgian-style Old Colonial sandstone building incorporates parts of an original c. 1833 to c. 1835 dwelling house, the existing sandstone house was constructed in 1842 under the ownership of Joseph Farris. The sandstone building now known as “Darling House” was built by Joseph Farris in 1842, a period of great depression in Sydney.
Darling House holds a particular historical, social and architectural significance due to its influence on the history and early social development of Millers Point and early colonial Australia. Darling House is distinctive as it is one of only a few remaining free standing dwellings in it’s area.
In February 2016 the vacant and increasingly dilapidated Darling House property was purchased for $7.7 million from the New South Wales Land and Housing Corporation at a public auction by an anonymous buyer.
The property underwent a major heritage restoration and upgrade during the period from 2016 to 2018 in order to both maintain the integrity of the original historic building as well as to enhance its adaptive re-use as a boutique luxury seniors living and retirement home.
The extensive works over a period of more than two years involved the installation throughout of cedar joinery, original marble fireplaces, old lead light windows and doors and the general upgrading of the building.
As of the 23rd of November 2000, this property is an integration of refurbishment and new construction within an historic context.
Darling House is registered as an item of both national, state and local heritage significance being on the Register of the National Estate, the New South Wales State Heritage Register and the Sydney Local Environment Plan.
Being located within and described as the “crown jewel” of Dawes Point, Darling House has also been included in the various heritage listings that apply to the Millers Point/Dawes Point precinct as a whole including the Millers Point and Dawes Point Conservation Area.
We had the privilege to work on this beautiful heritage home & replace the corrugated galvanised existing iron roof with none other than Welsh Slate Penrhyn.
This was also accompanied by heritage style lead work & new timber rafters installed by the heritage carpentry team alongside the existing original beams in the roof.
This project was a privilege to work on & we can’t wait to share with you further case studies of this multitude.
Check out the above progress edit No Qualms Media made for us
For all enquires please don’t hesitate to email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Erydene was the home of the late Professor E.G. Waterhouse C.M.G, & Mrs Waterhouse
The house was designed by architect William Hardy Wilson & built in 1913.
The Garden was designed by Professor Waterhouse inaugural president of the international camellia society. Eryldene was designed by William Hardy Wilson, Australia's leading advocate of the Old Colonial Georgian Revival movement, with major input from Prof. Waterhouse.
It is a single storey cement rendered brick bungalow of conventional domestic construction with a hipped roof of terracotta roof shingle. Its symmetrical facade faces the formal garden frontage from which a central sandstone path and steps lead to an entrance verandah beneath the roof line.
The Eryldene trust invites your support in preserving this unique property for posterity. Eryldene is a single storey brick house. Its design is an adaption of Georgian Architecture to Australian conditions. A central path, edged by garden beds, leads to the stone front steps, flanked with iron railings. The verandah with its six beechwood columns and white railings consists of three well proportioned areas, terminated at each end by a weatherboard sleep-out bedroom. The roof is of shingle tiles with generous eaves. At the rear is a courtyard with a colonnade of Doric iron columns.
William Hardy Wilson
William Hardy Wilson was an Australian architect, artist and author. He "is regarded as one of the most outstanding architects of the twentieth century".
Wilson designed mainly homes and small commercial buildings. Having been impressed by the Colonial Revival style in the US, he sought to do something similar in Australia. Nowadays he is particularly remembered for three of his homes, all of them on Sydney's North Shore and all of them now heritage-listed. He is regarded as a key practitioner of the Inter-War Georgian Revival style. We have worked on 2/3 properties; Eryldene & Purulia.
Eryldene, located in McIntosh Street, Gordon, was designed by Wilson and Prof. Eben Gowrie Waterhouse and built circa 1913. Wilson designed the layout of the gardens as well as garden structures like a moon gate, tea house, fountain, pigeon house, summerhouse and garden furniture.
The garden is heritage-listed along with the house. The house shows the influence of the Indian bungalow style. It is open to the public at set times.
An experience to say the least! Here’s a classical walkthrough of one of Sydney’s oldest Heritage listed homes.
We were given the honour to help repair & restore this old terracotta shingle roof, sheltering the heritage listed interior & overall character of the house.
We love projects like this because it reinstates our passion for Heritage style homes / buildings / structures. It truely is the core of our business & we can't wait for the next challenge.
hospital for the insane
The Callan Park Hospital for the Insane (1878 – 1914) is a heritage-listed former insane asylum and now college campus located in the grounds of Callan Park, an area on the shores of Iron Cove in Lilyfield, a suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
In 1873 the Colonial Government of New South Wales purchased the Callan Park site, then known as "Callan Estates", with the purpose of building a large lunatic asylum to ease the severe overcrowding at the Gladesville Hospital for the Insane, at Bedlam Point, near Tarban Creek in Gladesville.
On 2 April 2017 the area and buildings were listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register with the following statement of significance; "It is highly significant that much of the original fabric, character and setting for this major Victorian period design remain intact within a highly developed inner city locality.
Callan Park House (former Garry Owen House), as an impressive early and mid-Victorian residence is one of the oldest remaining houses in the district.
It has strong associations with the early history of the Rozelle area. It is an important visual landmark element within the hospital."
Below is a maintenance job we took on working on one of the various old sandstone buildings that have been lying vacant for years upon years. This old roof needed some much needed attention on replacing old broken slates & copper gutters.
This now protected site is populated with beautiful old sandstone buildings & slate roofs. A dream for Slate Roofers. We hope to share with you future work within this heritage listed land.
the swifts, darling point
The Swifts is a heritage-listed late-Victorian castellated Gothic Revival mansion located in the suburb of Darling Point, Sydney. Swifts is a rare survivor of a group of similar grand private residences sited on the southern shore of Sydney Harbour. It is described by the Australian Heritage Council as "perhaps the grandest house remaining in Sydney”.
Swifts was listed on the Register of the National Estate on 21 October 1980, and the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.
Designed by G. A. Morrell, Swifts was built in 1875–82 by Sir Robert Lucas Lucas-Tooth, the distinguished Australian brewer. In the 1880s, Sir Robert Lucas-Tooth had the house significantly remodelled in the style and likeness of his family home, Great Swifts Manor in Cranbrook, Kent.
Swifts falls into disrepair: 1986–97
Throughout this period Swifts fell into disrepair. Substantial parts of the exterior sandstone walls of the house and gardens, as well as the roofing, become seriously dilapidated. The leaking roof, including a fully collapsed part of it above the main staircase, caused significant damage to the already neglected interiors.
Purchase and restoration 1997 - present
In April 1997, Swifts was purchased by the Moran family, operators of private health and aged care facilities, for a reputed $12 million. The Moran family engaged the experienced conservation and heritage architect Clive Lucas of Clive Lucas, Stapleton & Partners to take on the mammoth task of restoring the derelict house. This involved extensive stone and roofing reconstruction and the interior paintwork required restoration.
Drawing on the expertise of builders and decorators skilled in traditional techniques, the restoration of Swifts, undertaken between 1997 and 2012, was probably the largest and most expensive of its type for private family use in Sydney.
We were contracted to help aid to the restoration of the roof on this highly reputable property. We gathered a team of workers to repair, replace & amend any damages to the slate & lead suffered from the elements over the past decade.
After the repairs were done we were then asked by the owner to deck out his chicken coop out the backyard with none other than welsh slate & copper ridges. Safe to say they were chickens living in luxury!
Tilcott House, Katoomba
Tilcott has local significance as a good representative example of the well-built holiday homes erected in the Upper Mountains by Sydney business-people in the 1920s. Tilcott is an intact representative example of an inter-war Californian bungalow residence. With its fine detailing and striking sandstone fencing it has above average appeal.
Tilcott was built in 1921 on lot 1 of section VIII of the sub-division of John Britty North’s land close to the railway line in Katoomba.
It seems to have been a holiday house, commissioned by Michael Fox, who lived in Coogee and was a ‘manufacturer’.
Late in the 1930s it was acquired by Harry Sleeman. By 1990 it was owned by an elderly clockmaker who mounted a museum of horology in the house.
It was then acquired by the Balmoral guesthouse nearby and was used as adjunct guest accommodation. It has now been bought by the Department of Community Services and provides day care for some categories of disabled people.
We were approached by the Katoomba Heritage Property office to restore this beautiful heritage listed property with brand new SVK Diamond Slate over a worn out old roof that's seen the elements of the mountains throughout its years. Asbestos removal & new timber battens were installed to give this beautiful home a re-birth of longevity.
This project was a test for the lads due to the sheer exposure of the cold elements Blue Mountains has to offer in the middle of winter. But as all good teams the lads bonded together & got the job done.
The Hunting Lodge
"The Hunting Lodge" built by S.H Terry for Governor Bligh of the first fleet. The land on which the building is located was granted by Governor King to Governor Bligh in 1806 and ratified by Governor Macquarie. It was Bligh's private property and was named Copenhagen Farm after one of his sea battles.
Original materials difficult to source and replicate, but we got there in the end. Heritage slate roofing are Sydney's only licensed Slate roofing company that can take on all work including Carpentry.